In the typical fashion, yet another android phone has been rooted in few days after its release. Although, some phones — the Galaxy S2 and the Galaxy Nexus — received their root tool well before the phone actually got released. Anyway, if you’ve brought that super-slim — just 7.1mm thick — smartphone called Droid Razr home, and want to unlock its root access, you can now do that using the awesome tool from DoomLord.
Btw, this is Windows PC-only root, and those who have a Mac will have to find a Windows PC to be able to use it.
Rooting your android phone allows you to gain full access to device by using root apps, and thereby unlocking its full potential. This would allow you to remove bloatware with Root Uninstaller free app, flash custom recovery using ROM Manager (when it’s available), install other apps that require root access and much more.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to you or your device, we won’t be held liable — you only will be responsible, you’ve been warned!!!
How to Root Motorola Droid Razr (aka Motorola Razr globally)
Update: We’ve just learned that it’s been successfully tested on both version of Razr: the Motorola Droid Razr at Verizon, the global version simply known as Motorola Razr. Cheers!
More details of phone son which testing has been confirmed by users:
- Optus XT910 with Build 6.5.1_73-spd-ird-12
- Rodgers XT910
- Verizion RAZR VZW 6.5.1-73_DHD-11_TA-3
NOTE: It’s important you know that ‘Motorola Droid Razr’ (at Verizon in US) and its global version, ‘Motorola Razr’, are two different devices and will may require separate root method. It’s been tested by FrAsErTaG on Motorola Razr, model number XT910, launched in Australia with Optus. So, make sure yours is XT910 before trying this root method. Get list of more devices, if any, on which this root method has been tested, here.
- Download the USB drivers from here and install them.
- Download the Root tool. It’s called ZERGRUSH, and it’s very famous and a really incredible tool. Filename – DooMLoRD_v2_ROOT-zergRush-busybox-su.zip. Size – 1836 KB. (Credit goes to awesome developer, DoomLord, who made this root tool. You can find the latest version of this root toolkit here.)
- Extract the above file to a folder using 7-zip or any other extractor software. You’ll get one file — runme.bat — and one folder called ‘files’ with 7 files inside.
- On phone, press menu key, select settings > Applications > Development > Select the USB debugging checkbox. Select ‘Ok’ on the pop-up that shows up after selecting the checkbox. press oem key and come back to home screen.
- Now connect phone with PC using the USB cable.
- Now go to the folder you got it step 3 above, and run the runme.bat file by double clicking on it.
- Wait till the rooting process is complete.
- After it’s done you’ll have the root access. Download and install Titanium backup android app from market. Enjoy!
Now that the rooting is done, lets hope ClockWorkMod recovery comes soon – -allowing you to enjoy customROMs and all that with easy flashing from recovery.